So. Valentine's Day.
You either love it or you hate it, unfortunately it is the nature of the day. But I mean let's be real here. Why do people hate it?
Is it because they do not have a significant other? Perhaps because they hate the commercialism? Maybe because they feel like love for others should not be confined to one day?
To be honest. I couldn't tell you why people hate it, but I think it is because of a lack of understanding. But the question I have for you is, how can we bring Valentine's Day back to its roots? I mean, do people even know the legend of Saint Valentine?
The basic consensuses seems to be that he was a saint who refused to deny Christ in front of an Emperor Claudius. He was condemned and beheaded, but not before he restored the sight and hearing of his jailer's daughter.
So why is he so important? I mean to be very blunt and obvious, he loved God so much that even under the threat of death he still professed the life and love of Christ and more than that he healed his jailer's child. One last selfless act before his brutal death.
So how do we honor St. Valentine's legacy on this highly commercialized, obligatory holiday?
We simply love. Why gripe about the roses, chocolates, and sickeningly adorable couples when you can just smile and love them. What are you gaining from hating these things and the day? A furrow in your brow and a heavy heart that's what.
If we all approached this day with the attitude and love of St. Valentine, we would all be so much happier. I don't know about you, but I rather like seeing all of the flowers and couples going out. I don't really care if people take it as a day to be extra-special and cute. Moments and days like this remind people why they love each other and not just couples but friends.
I feel like we should just go back to grade school in our view of this holiday. It was a day that was full of red, lace, and love. No pretense, no grumpy cats, no heavy hearts.
After all, God loves us all the time, everyday. Is it so much to ask of us to love our fellow man or woman even on the "holiday for couples?" Be like St. Valentine, love others just because you can and should.
No comments:
Post a Comment