Yesterday I read a very disturbing post on Facebook. It was essentially a long explanation about how love is not a feeling at all, it is a choice. At first I could see their logic, but as I got to the conclusion of their argument when they claimed that it is not about finding the right person, it is about learning to love the person you found, they instantly lost me.
So basically, they are claiming that it is better to settle. Then why is it called "falling" in love?
I mean think about it, all of the best romances in movies, books, and music...they are all spontaneous. We "fall" in love. Unfortunately, that's why it can hurt so much sometimes.
Think of how boring it would be if we just "chose" to be in love with someone. Where is the fun in that? What's more...what if the other person does not choose to be in love with you...kind of an awkward situation, right?
One of my favorite quotes is "To love, is to recognize yourself in another." I mean isn't this right? We are naturally drawn to people like us. To add on to that, I believe that we naturally gravitate to people who have certain qualities that we want to have. And because of this, we seek out (and sometimes fall in love with) these people so we can learn from them.
Think of all of the people you would say you love. Maybe you are not "in love" with them, but you know that they are important to you. What draws you to them? What do they do that you admire? Isn't that a feeling?
I just think that we cannot allow ourselves to settle. Taking the train of thought further, if you have someone in your life that you are drawn to why not take the leap of faith? I mean, you never know what is going to happen if you never try, right?
Finally, let yourself fall. Why are people so afraid of falling? I mean we are talking about love here, not jumping off a building. It is one of the best feelings in the world. And yes, you can fall out of it, personal experience attests to that, but that is a story for another day.
So fall. Fall in love. Stay in love. There is a reason why there are songs and stories about love making people do incredibly stupid things (Romeo and Juliet, anyone?). But you know what, they were in love. Sometimes it take a second, sometimes it takes years. Life can get in the way sometimes, but God knows what he is doing. There is a person for you out there. So don't settle!! Love is a feeling, not a choice. The only choice you have is whether or not you are going to wait for God to say go. He will tell you. I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment