Thursday, April 18, 2013

Parting is such sweet sorrow...but really, I don't want to leave.

Ever had one of those nights where you really do not want to leave the person you are with or the place you are? You may be tired, exhausted even, falling asleep with about 400 things to do. But the time keeps ticking away and you keep saying, "5 more minutes, 5 more minutes, okay 10 more minutes, gosh I really have to get cracking on that paper...nah. I have the weekend. But sleep, that is important. I totally did not get enough sleep last night. But, I can stay 10 more minutes...shoot. Is it really 12:30? It cannot be 12:30..."

On and on and on. But for some reason you just cannot manage to pry yourself away from the person you are with. You say to yourself that it is probably just because you are too lazy to get up. You try to reason yourself into getting up and leaving. You know you will sleep better in your bed. But the couch you are on is surprisingly comfortable and you really feel like it wouldn't be bad to fall asleep here...but you have class tomorrow, and you have to shower...but, you really just don't want to leave.

The funny thing is that a lot of the time you are never really ever doing anything of consequence when you are having this internal battle with yourself. You are just sitting there, kind of sort of talking. Kind of sort of watching TV. But what you are really doing is just basking in the presence of the other person. You just like being there. Next to them.

Why is this?

Why is it that, usually against all reason, we are willing to sacrifice our mental and physical well-being as far as sleep and academics go for these other people in our lives?

Some may write it off as, "Well, that is just college. You are supposed to stay up late and do crazy things. But wait. Sitting on a couch lazily watching a movie does not fall into the "crazy" category right? I mean that is pretty tame.

So I guess the point of all of this is that maybe we need to just admit to ourselves sometimes that we are just happy being with a person. Regardless of what we are doing. Regardless of what we have to do. Regardless of how late and how sleep deprived we are.

Maybe it is a "cosmic bind," but that is probably not true...I mean I believe in miracles and soul mates as much as the next person...but I think this is a little different than that.

So next time you are with a person, think about why you are spending time with them. What are you doing with that time? Because the people you can lazily sit around on a couch with are the people who you should be spending time with right? No pretense, no expectations. You can fall asleep and they will not care about you any less.

So get comfortable. Sit back. And bask in the warmth of your dearest friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment