“I was going to tell you to take that off before you left
for the shower. But I forgot because of that ridiculous face you made from
being so sleep deprived,” Brianna said as I walked back into our room after my
shower.
“Oh, it’s no problem,” I replied, remembering that I was
still wearing it, “My mom used to wear it in the shower all the time and it is
gold.” I said to her, as I fingered the gold cross with the tiny diamond in it.
The delicate, gold chain is smooth under my fingers.
I began to put away the things from the shower. Thinking
about my mother wearing the necklace. She literally never took it off. It
wasn’t until a year ago that I even inherited it. She gave it to me in a box of
junk jewelry that she wanted to get rid of.
“This? Really? You are giving this to me? You always wore
it, I don’t even remember seeing you without it,” I say as I hold up the gold
necklace between us.
“Your dad gave it to me years ago, I think it is time for
you to have it,” my mom explained, “After all, we are divorced, after 12 years
of being married to your step-dad, I think I should get rid of it.”
I look at her, slightly perplexed. “Why did she wear it all of those years?” I wonder to myself. I
guess it eventually became just a piece of jewelry after a while.
I start to dig through the box again. A tiny gold ring
surfaces under the big earrings and bracelets. I pick it up.
My mom looks at it.
“And that,” she sighs, “is my wedding ring from when I got
married to your father.”
I almost drop it, like it all of the sudden has become red-hot.
“Oh,” I say casually as I drop it back into the shoebox,
trying to play indifferent.
“You don’t want it?” Mom questions.
“No, I think you should see if Lizzie wants it, I think it
would mean more to her than me,” I say as I continue to dig through the box of
jewelry.
“Honey, it is just a ring. I thought you would want it to
keep or something,” she says.
I see more ridiculous earrings, things that I kind of
remember her wearing when I was a little girl.
“No,” I reply, as I drop the silver cat earrings back in the
box, “I really do not have a use for it.”
“But you want the necklace right?” she asks, as she watches
me paw through the rabbit earrings and old watches.
I almost forgot that I was still holding it.
“Oh, right. Yes, I want it,” I say as I begin selecting the
earrings I want to keep.
“But, you don’t want the wedding ring?” she asks again.
“No,” I say as I think in my head…
“Of course I don’t
want that ring. It caused so much pain to you and I and Lizzie. Why would I
want to keep a symbol of all of that mess? Give it to Lizzie. After all, she
still thinks her daddy walks on water. Me, I just think he is an asshole who
cannot let go of the past.”
She looks at me. I think she knows that I feel like the ring
is poisoned or something. “Well,” she says, “okay. I am
going to go finish the laundry now. Justin has a baseball game at 3 and we are
going to leave for that in an hour or so.”
“Alright,” I say, not meeting her eyes as she walks out of
my room.
“I’ll see if Elizabeth wants this,” she says, holding up the
wedding ring.
My mom always uses our full names. The infrequent times when
she says Lizzie or Abby always startles me.
“Okay,” I say as I look up, “I’ll be ready to go to the game
in an hour.”
She walks out. I look at the gold necklace again.
The diamond in it is so small. Part of it is bent in,
probably from traveling or something like that.
I take off the necklace I am wearing and hang it in my
jewelry box. I open the clasp of the cross necklace and fasten it around my
neck.
It is a little odd seeing it on me. It was always my mom’s.
The funny thing is, even though I refused the wedding ring because it reminded
me of my dad and mom’s failed marriage, this cross he gave her does not seem to
bother me.
The gold is cool against my neck. I touch the cross.
In all honesty, I don't really care. I look back down at the box. "Ugh," I think as I shudder, "Thank goodness she took that ring. I don't even think I could deal with that being anywhere close to me."
No comments:
Post a Comment