Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy

People always tell you to do what makes you happy. Unfortunately it is not always easy and our definition of happy changes all of the time. 

When I started dating my ex, I was really happy. I pursued him endlessly and I learned how good another person can make you feel about yourself. I thought it was going to last forever. But life changes and people change. Paths diverge and sometimes...things don't work out. But for a moment in my life, I was truly and unequivocally happy in that relationship. 

After breaking up with him, I have been lead to question what makes me happy. Is it writing? Being with friends? Working? Learning? And then it hit me. I want to make people feel wanted. I always have. While it unfortunately was not working out that way in my relationship, I feel like I have matured to a point and the breakup has finally allowed me to see myself from a different perspective. 

I was conceited, self-serving, and made everyone talk about me. It wasn't until I got out of the relationship that I saw this. My attitude towards friends has been changing, all of my energy is focused on worthwhile endeavors and I am doing what makes me happy. 

It is kind of weird. Feeling happy. I have been praying more, seeking out deeper relationships, and really trying to help that one person know how much they are worth and wanted. I know I cannot do any of this alone, this is why I have been praying so much. But it is still weird. For the first time in a long time, when someone asks me if I am happy....I can answer truthfully, 

yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment