Monday, May 20, 2013

Butterflies...and massive grasshoppers.

Okay, so this Wednesday I will be on my way back to John Carroll to go on an immersion trip to Ecuador. We leave on Thursday morning and I have to say, getting all of my stuff together and realizing that I only have two more nights in my house until I go on this potentially life changing experience is starting to freak me out. 

I am starting to get that nervous, nauseous feeling in my stomach every time I look at my packed bag or check, for the twentieth time, if I have my passport. 

I think the reason I am so nervous is not only because I will be totally cut off from everything for ten days (which to be quite honest, is going to be a little bit of a relief) but that I am opening myself to being totally and completely changed by this trip. I have no idea what to expect. I will have no concept of time (we are not allowed to have watches) and I will be putting myself into the hands of the people of Ecuador and the volunteers of Rostro de Christo. 

Never have I felt so incredibly ready yet so incredibly apprehensive to go on a trip but, I know that it is what I need. 

I have this space in my head and in my heart that has been so filled with other arbitrary worries and artificial problems that I want to be cleared out. And when that space is finally empty...I want God to rush in. I am so willing to take this experience to allow God to change me. To put myself entirely in his hands. To have him use me as an instrument of his greater glory and good. 

Some people think that going on an immersion is selfish. That we are spending money to go to a place to be changed by it. But I think what people do not understand is that going to places like Ecuador or Jamaica or even central Cleveland, opens us up to having our hearts and minds changed by the people there. We are putting ourselves in a position to be used by God and to see the goodness of His spirit in other people. People who are different than us. People who get by with so much less than us. 

So I just ask you to pray for me. Pray for my leaders and my group members and pray for all of the people choosing to embark on these life changing experiences over the next week and a half. 

My prayers go out to all of my Carroll family who are going to El Salvador, Uganda, Honduras, Guatemala, and to Jamaica where my beautiful best friend Brianna is leading a group. And to my Ecuador group, I cannot wait to see what this journey has in store for us. God bless. Let's set the world on fire for God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment