"I still remember this moment in the back of my mind, the time we stood with our shaking hands, the crowds in stands went wild. We were the kings and the queens and they read off our names. The night you danced like you knew our lives would never be the same"
That night. Our last real date. Sitting outside on the street of Little Italy. Laughing. Kissing. Basking in the glow of what seemed like eternity. A moment that made it seem like the world was standing still. There was nothing. Nothing but you, me, and this instant. Surrounded by the sparkling lights of hope.
"You held your head like a hero on a history book page. It was the end of a decade, but the start of an age. Long live the walls we crashed through while the kingdom lights shined just for me and you. I was screaming, long live all the magic we made and bring on all the pretenders, one day we will be remembered. I said, remember this feeling. I passed the pictures around of all the years that we stood there on the sidelines wishing for right now"
I thought that was it. It was cemented. There is no way that all of this could be nothing. There is no way that this was just meant for two months. I had never been so fully of hope. Your eyes shined as you talked about the opportunities you were going to have in DC. The people you were going to meet, the chances you were going to have. Your excitement didn't die for an instant, not even when you told me about the 4:30 a.m. meetings. I was excited for you too. Excited to see how your face lit up when talking about it. The fact that I was here to share all of it with you was incredible. I have never enjoyed seeing someone else succeed as much as I did watching you.
"We are the kings and the queens. You traded your baseball cap for a crown. When they gave us our trophies and we held them up for our town and the cynics were outraged, screaming, this is absurd. 'Cause for a moment a band of thieves in ripped-up jeans got to rule the world."
We were going against reason. Against logic. We started everything when you had only a month and a half left in this magical place. The place where lives are made, romances blossom, friendships made eternal, and dreams are realized. Everyone knew it was going to have to end, but we had them right there with us. Smiling for us, laughing with us, watching two people go against reason, denying the inevitable for as long as possible.
And then...reality. It is all happening. Maybe it isn't possible. "Is that your decision?" "I guess it is." "I love you." "I didn't want to have to do it." "Don't let my idelaist vision of love and relationships die." "I want you, I don't know who else I would be with." "Mind, body, soul...you've got me." "I shouldn't have to make this choice!" "It just ins't fair" How are you?" "Fine" "I'm not fine *gasp* I am not fine." Life shouldn't happen like this!" "This is wrong! It is so wrong" "This is the only relationship I have know where the lives of two people have made at least seven other people sad."...."They are both heartbroken..."
"If you have children someday, when they point to the pictures...please tell them my name. Tell them how the crowds went wild. Tell them how I hope they shine"
No comments:
Post a Comment