Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Reminder of a Beautiful Friendship

So I wouldn't typically re-blog something. But my roommate Brianna has her own blog and she does a wonderful job with it. I wanted to share this beautiful post that she wrote last week... 


Saying the Unsaid

I've had a lot of thoughts lately. And while I'm ashamed at my pathetic progress to document them, especially in the month of May, I've been reading enough Pinterest quotes and having enough philosophical talks with my dear Abby that it's time to start putting words to paper (that is, if only I could write as fast as I type) and telling people things they need to hear.

So here goes. 


My dear Abby, 


I find myself writing another letter to you. Surprised? I'm not. However, I don't have any clue where to begin. Today we discussed the importance of taking your own advice. The three most recent pieces of advice I've been given lately are:


1. Marry a man who likes to dance.


2. Don't be so hard on yourself.

3. Wear your heart on your sleeve, and hold your crap together. 

We're not going to dwell on the first one. This is the beginning of my positive crusade to celebrate singleness and all that God has to offer me in the life I am living. Singleness makes me wonder... who spends more time talking about men? Single women, or women in relationships? I'd say for single women we certainly spend a lot of time talking about men. If only those boys could see what they do to our thoughts. But I think we have them to thank. The quote I sent you today said something to the effect of "Someone may hand you a box of darkness, but eventually, you will realize it's a gift." I like poetry but paraphrasing poetry isn't a strength of mine.


While these guys don't exactly deserve thank-you notes (I think our choice to ignore them is gift enough), they have done amazing things for our friendship. They have given us so much to laugh and cry about together. We have felt pain that, alone, would be enough to destroy a spirit a hundred times over, but together, has made us so much stronger. What you have been through in the past two months has shown me so much of who you truly are. I feel like I don't even know the girl who dated Zak compared to the beautiful idealist who has blogged, cried, laughed, kissed, and interned her way to Wednesday, June 12th where I find myself inspired by her thoughts and her strength every single day.


Whenever you tell me you are broken, I'm not going to lie... I have a hard time believing you. Abby. People who are broken can't see things from the outside. People who are broken can't come to terms with the things that have hurt them. People who are broken can't have a revelation about their future every single day and still have time to give me advice about my own life after dinner. I say this so that I may pass to you the advice I have been given. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're an amazing sister, friend, daughter, and roommate, and despite whatever is going on in your head and your heart you push through it with a grace I have never seen in anyone else. 


You are a true embodiment of the third piece of advice, as I told you the other day. You wake up every morning, put on a beautifully assembled outfit (still don't know how you do it), wave your magic scented wand over your gorgeous hair, stick your heart on your sleeve, and keep your crap together until you get a chance to breathe again. That's the best way to live. With an open heart and a spirit and soul that is vulnerable to life and to love. Whichever way the wind blows, I know you're going to follow it, because it makes you exactly who you are. If you were a closed-off, realistic, harsh-truth, work driven person, do you know what WOULDN'T have happened? Do you know what you WOULDN'T have had the courage to do? The fountain on May 10th. Your relationship with Dan. Go to Ecuador. Run barefoot through the rain. 


These things are the embodiment of living and you don't let your troubles get in the way. A piece of your heart may be broken, Abby, but you are a whole soul. Your true self, the person deep down inside of you, is the reason why everything that defines who you are is even happening. You have come so far. Zak may still know how to word some choice comments here and there, but what you are going through now with Zak is nothing compared to all the life he was preventing you from living in the months prior. And so I am truly grateful that real Abby could finally come through. The happiness I saw in you when you had Dan isn't gone, Abby. Your heart is still open and it's made even more room for me and Tim to show you who you truly are, and I will forever be grateful for that opportunity. 


You've had your final say for now on the things that have been leaving you broken and I can't wait to see where you go from here. You've got a ton of talent and potential. Your entire blog, and ESPECIALLY your post about Ecuador, prove that you're not broken, just bent, and you can learn to love again. 


Thank you for being my best friend. Thank you for referring to me as "my beautiful best friend Brianna" in all your blog posts... whether intentional or not, I love it. Thank you for being the mirror in which I can see and better myself, and thank you for allowing me to do the same for you. 


I have so much more to say but I think this is enough for tonight. 


May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground... carry on. 


Love you always,


Bri 

No comments:

Post a Comment