Friday, June 21, 2013

Coincidence? I think not...maybe...

You know the phenomenon when you buy a new car and all of the sudden you see that car everywhere. It is like they are following you and you are now part of this massive secret club that you didn't know about before.

Well, I am now part of a different club. The club of seeing reminders of your past relationships in everything. And these are not little things that I have to stretch to make connect to the guys. These are slap in the face, obvious, “remember me?” type things.

I don’t know what it has been with these last few weeks, but it just seems like these coincidences have been following me all over kingdom come. Every time I turn around there is another one.

For example, today I got a CD from a co-worker who thought I should listen to Tegan & Sara since they are opening for fun. at the concert I am going to in July. Right after he hands me the CD to one of my ex-boyfriends favorite bands he asks, “Have you heard of the band Vampire Weekend?”

Really? A different ex-boyfriend’s favorite band…what is going on?

All I could do was politely smile and say yes; listening as he explained how much he loved their new CD.

Another one? Sure. There have been so many.

I sat down to start a craft and decided that I want to watch a harmless romantic comedy. I chose “Bridget Jones’ Diary” because it is harmless and has just the correct amount of slightly crude humor. I hadn't watched it in forever and I did not remember the premise of the movie at all. I get five minutes in and then I hear something to the effect of “The exact man that I was trying to avoid, the Editor in Chief of the company Daniel…” I do not even remember the last name. My mouth dropped open.

Seriously? An office romance with the EIC named Daniel that proceeds to crash and burn…why? Needless to say I finished watching the movie and it had a happy ending…but the parallels were freaky.

I just…why?

To make it better, my roommate has been having guy issues as well. Guess what? Our situations are totally parallel. Down to the proximity thing that these guys seem to need to have any interest in talking to us.
In addition, we have also figured out that it is probably a blessing in disguise that we were not able to get released from our housing contract because then we would be living in that apartment…where both Bri and I had upsetting relationship experiences…argh.

Oh and now two of our friends are living there. I cannot even tell you how impossibly hard it is going to be for me to step into that apartment for the first time and see another guy in his room. It is always going to be “Dan and Andy’s” apartment to me, at least for the first few months.

To make it better, you didn't think this could get better did you?

The day after I sent him a message, I am looking through Twitter and see a reporter who was retweeted by the Washington Post who has the name Dan Zak. I almost fell out of my chair at work. The fact that Zak was spelled that way too. Oh my gosh. A reporter named Dan Zak…These are impossible things that keep happening.

Also, this guy and I literally post the same things on social media. Things about journalism and newspapers. Which is ridiculous. Especially considering that I had this light bulb yesterday where I thought, “I am the perfect character foil to him. Like the exact opposite in exactly the right ways and exactly the same in the right ways. We could have been the perfect team. Professionally for sure. Personally…It appears, yes…that would have applied there too.”

Part of what makes all of these reminders so frustrating is that they are not those stupid illogical things that girls make up. Kind of like the ironic fact that I have an exit to Erie, PA right off the main highway where I live and literally 30 seconds from my town.

These reminders are real things. Real concrete “coincidences” that keep happening. Over and over. I don’t know if I am just hyper sensitive to them or what, but stuff this obvious doesn’t happen to normal people…does it?

Maybe I am still holding on to some odd sort of concept of hope that I didn’t shatter everything with my expression of my feelings. Maybe life is showing me these constant reminders for some sort of reason that I have yet to learn. I hope that I am not the only person who is constantly given these painfully blunt reminders…

*sigh*


Well, C'est la vie

No comments:

Post a Comment