Thursday, June 6, 2013

You can only open the way

Last night I got a major wake up call. I had been living in this created world that I was hoping for. I was imagining that if I just hoped hard enough for it, it would eventually happen. But in the midst of all of that hope and optimism came a lot of heartbreak, but also cleansing realization.

Right before this very difficult situation happened I had been coming to the end of “The Shack.” (If you haven’t read it yet, I highly encourage you to. Even if you don’t believe in God or have a strong relationship with Him, it teaches you an awful lot about life.)

Anyway, the last thing I read was that you cannot force a relationship, all you can do is open the path and wait to see if the person decides to make the choice to be in the relationship, whatever it may be: a marriage, a relationship, a friendship.

So, after reading this I decided that I needed to take the jump and figure out once and for all where Dan and I stood. I was confused and very conflicted and his actions in the last few weeks had indicated to me that there may still be something there that he was to afraid to admit to himself.

Unfortunately, he told me exactly what I thought he was going to. He said that his actions were wrong and misleading and that there really was nothing there. Essentially that all of the things he said and did after we broke up meant nothing.

As painful as that was and as stupid as it made me feel, it was exactly the push I needed to move on. I was like I was finally freed from this weight that was holding me down.

Now, I could have dealt with that in and of itself, but I was also in the midst of trying to have a civil conversation with Zak…yes, my other ex-boyfriend, sometimes I cannot believe how incredibly complicated my life has become.

The only reason I was talking to him was because my little sister was heartbroken that he was not going to come to her graduation party, so I decided to intervene on her part and try to get him to come. The conversation did not go well.

He is somehow able to make me feel like a terrible person every time I talk to him. I want nothing more than to be able to have a civil relationship with him, but he apparently thinks that is not possible. Essentially, he has not let go of the fact that I broke up with him over the phone and wants me to say it to him face to face…something that I would have had no problem doing, if he hadn't yelled at me and made me feel terrible or insulted me in some way when we talked.

The line was crossed when he told me that I didn't know how to break up with someone. That brought back the very painful memory of when I was dumped by Dan. That hurt, a lot. And I burst onto tears, but what else is new?

But I think the most painful thing about the entire conversation was that it made me feel like I was in the midst of a divorce. It was like Zak and I had gotten divorced and Lizzie was the child and I was trying to protect her and make her not be disappointed by Zak letting her down because of his dislike of me.

This hit way to close to home and made the conversation that much more painful. After the conversation, I reached out to Dan to get some comfort. That was not successful…not in the least bit.

So, feeling broken and emotionally tormented, I reached out to Tim and Bri. Never have I had such a pure outpouring of love than I had from my two best friends. I told them that I felt broken, that Dan and Zak broke me all in one hour. That I was done. I was tired and heartsick and that I just wanted to give up. (Even now thinking about it makes me start to tear up a little.)

They essentially told me that I was a wonderful, strong woman and that I had the perfect man waiting for me. That God was putting these other people in my life to make me realize how blessed I was once I found the man he meant for me.

They made me laugh and feel so loved that instead of going to bed crying I was able to go to sleep in a fairly neutral state, knowing that my friends loved me and would do anything to protect me. Now I woke up feeling like I got hit by a train, so I don’t think it was a restful sleep, but nothing Starbucks couldn't fix.

So there it is. Those two chapters of my life have finally closed. Completely and totally. I feel like I am actually able to live again. So, what have I learned from this? That when the cards are down and you put your heart on the line, you put it at the risk of being shattered, but that your friends are always going to be there with a bottle of glue and a lot of love to stand there and help you pick up the pieces and glue them back together (in Bri’s case she is ready to beat up whoever it is that hurt me, which I will always love her for but never let her act on. Much love to you, Bri.)


But in the end, a relationship cannot be forced, all you can do is open the door and pave the way. It is up to the other people to walk down the path or to ignore it or destroy it.

I hope you always take the chance to walk down it, because if you don’t, you’ll never know what you missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment