“Night is purer than day; it is better for thinking and loving and dreaming. At night everything is more intense, more true. The echo of words that have been spoken during the day takes on a new and deeper meaning. The tragedy of man is that he doesn't know how to distinguish between day and night. He says things at night that should only be said by day.”
I never realized just how true this actually is. It seems like people are constantly saying and doing things during the night* that their "common sense" would never allow them to do or say during the daylight hours.
This use to be something that I only observed, the phenomenon had never actually directly affected me...or so I thought.
I was having a nice chat with my beautiful best friend Bri and we we talking about some recent occurrences and how we just wanted to be able to get inside people's brains and hearts to figure out what was actually going on. Especially, considering somethings that had been said and done during the night.
After talking and thinking about it for a while she said something to the effect of, "Well, your relationship kind of only exsited between the hours of 1 am and 5 am. During the night he was your boyfriend and then, during the day, he was your friend."
Awesome.
But, yep, that about sums up the reality of the situation. Which really does suck, but...that is in the past.
You see, I am not one to typically jump on an idea like this right after it is suggested, but unfortunately (or fortunately) I had other evidence to back it up.
That entire conversation we had after we broke up and then that incident that I still feel really stupid about and I am still kind of convinced meant something (don't jump to conclusions, it was a kiss)....considering the massive scramble to cover it all...but, I am also really good at just assuming things...so we shall leave that on the back burner...(that seems like it will perpetually be on the back burner...welcome to my life.)
But it all happened at night. So what is the deal here?
Are people just braver at night? Is there some magical quality about the night that makes everything more real? Do we stop denying ourselves what we want at night? Or are we just throwing caution to the wind and breaking people's hearts because it is nighttime?
Honestly, I couldn't tell you.
But I do believe that nighttime is magical. As much as I adore the sunshine, if I could be nocturnal for a year I would totally do it.
Here is my theory: At night, we all get braver. Reality does not exist during the night. You can be whatever you want to be. You can dare to dream and you can act on those dreams...but as soon as the first rays of sunshine steak across the sky, the magic is shattered and reality sets back in.
But why?
Why does daylight have to mean reality? Do you realize how much fun you have at night? How much love there is at night? How you feel that you can say or do anything and it won't matter?
Why not take that freedom into the daytime?
Reality can get so boring and dull sometimes. Occasionally we need to let go of being professional and political correct and scared of the future and just do what makes us happy.
Why live life with regrets or being miserable or wishing that you did something or held on to something?
Go for it. Leap. Live life like it is nighttime sometimes. Then you can truly experience freedom.
*or drunk in some people's case
No comments:
Post a Comment